Friday, May 11, 2012

Proof is in the Puddin

Before I could make the decision to create a food plot, I first had to find out if there were any deer in the area. I didn't want to waste time and money making a plot if there were no deer in the area.  After only a few days I had proof.  I purchased food blocks with the expectation they would last at least a couple weeks.  Not a chance with all the rain and not to mention the squirrels they dissolved or were eaten up within a week.  For any of you thinking about using them I would recommend their use after April possibly June and July.  

In these photos at first glance you see a two-point and what appears to be a doe.  But on closer inspection the buck lost his antlers.  If you look at the time stamp on the photos you can get a general idea of when they lose the bone.  I can't say I have found blacktail sheds but I have found plenty of muley sheds.  The overwhelming forest and brush in the area would make finding antlers darn near impossible.  But areas with higher buck density might be an option.  Another interesting thing to note is the size of the body and neck.  After the rut the neck resembles that of a doe as well as the buck itself.  Maybe they find safety in numbers during the winter and can hang out with the does after losing the antlers and won’t be shunned as they are during the rut.   












No comments:

Post a Comment